Search This Blog

Follow this blog with bloglovin

Follow It Cant All Be Dior

Tuesday, April 20, 2010

The TIDE has Turned



Hmm... read this article just now on Money Talks News and I'm intrigued. I've always guessed laundry detergent is just a big plastic jug of that bubble mix we used as kids and a total waste of money.

In the article it gives you a recipe for do it yourself detergent. I am soooo checking this out once my dregs of Mrs. Meyer's Geranium detergent runs out. Especially since I have my own geranium essential oil to add to the mix.

From  http://www.moneytalksnews.com/


The Recipe



Below is a homemade laundry detergent recipe that seems to work pretty well.

You'll need:


• 4 cups of water.


• 1/3 bar of cheap soap, grated.


• 1/2 cup washing soda (not baking soda).


• 1/2 cup of Borax (20 Mule Team).


• 5-gallon bucket for mixing.


• 3 gallons of water.


First, mix the grated soap in a saucepan with 4 cups of water, and heat on low until the soap is completely dissolved. Add hot water/soap mixture to 3 gallons of water in the 5-gallon bucket, stir in the washing soda and Borax, and continue stirring until thickened. Let the mix sit for 24 hours, and voila! Homemade laundry detergent.


Total cost per load? In the neighborhood of 2 cents. Store-bought detergent, depending on what you buy and where you buy it, can cost about 20 cents per load -- 10 times more.




Then again.... Seems like a lot of work and where does one even get Borax? 

To be continued....


No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

My photo
I'm a fashion writer who writes for Bluefly, EDGE Media, VIRAL Fashion, etc. I use "It Can't All Be Dior" as a safe release for my love of coats, cats and cake. Phew!