Search This Blog

Follow this blog with bloglovin

Follow It Cant All Be Dior

Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Book Club: The Book of Vice



I might be an old married man now, but jeez even I feel dirtier than this pedantic chronicle of strip clubs, swapping parties and gluttonous meals. But I guess NPR ain't really known for throw down partying...

Second D.O.A. book in a row. At least this one cost $5 in the clearance section of Barnes and Nobles. 

-sigh- 

Totally open to book suggestions, people! Let me know: what should I be reading?

1 comment:

  1. You know me, I am obsessed with books about NYC, any time period, especially if artists, writers, musicians, etc, are involved. Just finished Patti Smith's "Just Kids," and totally loved it. She managed to be emotinonal, respectful, dignified and honest, about her relationship with Robert Mapplethorpe. I thought it was terribly moving, and loved her stories about living at the Chelsea Hotel with Mapplethorpe, when they were first starting out. Also finished "Let the Great World Spin," a novel about NYC in the 70s. Very emotional and gritty and heavy, so I absolutely loved it. It is not light reading, but if you are into some intense storytelling, Colum McCann is an absolutely wonderful writer. And of course, while I was recuperating, and needed lighter reading, I read "I slept with Joey Ramone," which is a memoir written by Joey's brother. Hilarious title. I didn't love the book at first, but then I got hooked, half way through. I think you need to be a serious Ramones fan (like me), to appreciate it tho. Am now going to start "A low life in High Heels," by Holly Woodlawn. Can't believe I've never read it. xoxol

    ReplyDelete

About Me

My photo
I'm a fashion writer who writes for Bluefly, EDGE Media, VIRAL Fashion, etc. I use "It Can't All Be Dior" as a safe release for my love of coats, cats and cake. Phew!