Search This Blog

Follow this blog with bloglovin

Follow It Cant All Be Dior

Friday, January 14, 2011

Nouveau Dish



And it was!

As part of staycation week, last nite I cooked a dish I've never made before, red bean cakes with coconut sauce




(Lucifer approved the menu)




I sauteed up the onion, red pepper and celery 




before kinda mashing them by hand with the red beans (and the jasmine rice I had made earlier) and cilantro, my idea since I thought the parsley the recipe called for was a little wimpy. the spinach was for the salad





After forming them into patties I fried them up in olive oil, turning each side every 7 mins or so. the good thing about these cakes is if you over cook them a little, they get crispy



Now I have never made a patty of any kind, so there were more than just a couple 
"first pancakes" in the lot


(you can see the sauce simmerin' in the back too)




but Mr Taurus, Miss M.T. and Miss J.B. and I somehow managed to tear the dozen up!












I layered the finished patty on top of the spinach, radish and grapefruit salad which was on top of cranberry pumpkin seed toast with the spring onion and almond coconut milk sauce drizzled over








the salad I winged together cuz I love radishes and pink grapefruit







this is the only pic I got of the sauce, but it was super easy: blend together spring onion, almond and coconut milk for a medium thickness, not runny






the table




the wine




the post-wine beer



Everyone raved about the cakes and the salad and the whole dinner and it turned into an impromptu dance party towards the end. Yay! Another goal accomplished, another great meal with friends










No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

My photo
I'm a fashion writer who writes for Bluefly, EDGE Media, VIRAL Fashion, etc. I use "It Can't All Be Dior" as a safe release for my love of coats, cats and cake. Phew!