Search This Blog

Follow this blog with bloglovin

Follow It Cant All Be Dior

Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Stella McCartney's Spring Ad Tarts it Up



Waking up to large snowflakes lazily falling outside my window, it's funny to be writing about Spring and warm, sunny citrus, but here goes.

In this Stella McCartney ad, shot by Mert Alas and Marcus Piggott, model Malgosia Bela is part billboard for citrus growers of America, part rockin' the famous Tropicana tunic


Which brings me to my point of the post: something has happened here, some part of the equation of this ad has made that a-line sheath go from sad sack cover up, to a 70's louche, hot mom feel. The kinda mom that smells of cocoa butter and YSL Opium and flirts with your friends when you bring them back home to your pool after school. 


Is it the lighting or does Malgosia fill the dress out better than Sasha Pivovarova did on the runway? Or is it that Malgosia is 33 and it takes a mature, confident sexuality to override the cuteness of the oranges and limes?


Whatever the sex factor is here, it's working. That dress will sell out, mark my words.


No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

My photo
I'm a fashion writer who writes for Bluefly, EDGE Media, VIRAL Fashion, etc. I use "It Can't All Be Dior" as a safe release for my love of coats, cats and cake. Phew!