Search This Blog

Follow this blog with bloglovin

Follow It Cant All Be Dior

Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Liz's Legacy


A Hollywood icon has passed. Elizabeth Taylor, famous violet eyed actress, wife, jewelry collector and AIDS activist died today at age 79. I've professed my love of La Liz many times before, so I will just focus on her legacy here.

A child actress that successfully translated to adult sensation, Liz had a strong career of scenery chomping dramas (Oscar winners "Butterfield 8" and "Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf?") to the most expensive movie of her time which she had major diva control over ("Cleopatra") to my favorite performance as sexually frustrated beard, Maggie, just ichin' for a scrap in "Cat on a Hot Tin Roof". Her legacy in acting for me has been introducing me to my love affair of the great raven haired beauty.

Her friendship with playwright Tennessee Williams and other prominent homosexuals cemented her commitment to our community and her AmFar activism is unrivaled. This I believe to be her true legacy. She was at the forefront of activism and never missed a chance to remind her public that people are still dying everyday of AIDS. Even in her failing health days she soldiered on and fought the fight against World AIDS. She is a hero in her fight and a role model of using your great advantages and public voice for others who can't shout as loud as you.

Sure her tangled up personal life of marriage swaps, bloated diamonds and an even more bloated Liz kept people snapping up tabloid gossip of Liz, but she'll always be remembered as an actress with great style and an even greater heart.

No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

My photo
I'm a fashion writer who writes for Bluefly, EDGE Media, VIRAL Fashion, etc. I use "It Can't All Be Dior" as a safe release for my love of coats, cats and cake. Phew!