Search This Blog

Follow this blog with bloglovin

Follow It Cant All Be Dior

Wednesday, July 25, 2012

Book Club: Brave New World


(This is the cover of mine, except I lost the cover. Sad.) 



Summer is meant for lazy reading either of the escapist trash variety or a re-read. This time I'm doing a little latter.

Now '1984' is my favorite book and with its future dystopian society, Aldous Huxley's 'Brave New World' always gets compared to Orwell's masterpiece. Which is unfortunate.


A: the books are nothing alike.

B: 'BNW' has its own merits, which upon reading as an angsty teen, I wouldn't examine without a "well it's no 1984". Now I can appreciate its own brand of future dystopia.


And never has been the mollifying a whole generation been more relevant as we're in the age of coddling. Mr Huxley must have been looking into his crystal ball at the self esteem and everyone gets an award entitled generation that breaks down at any tiny inconvenience. Perhaps we're all on Soma Holiday right now?

No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

My photo
I'm a fashion writer who writes for Bluefly, EDGE Media, VIRAL Fashion, etc. I use "It Can't All Be Dior" as a safe release for my love of coats, cats and cake. Phew!